Wednesday, April 17, 2019

An Introduction.

Hello!

My name is Shannon. I'm a 23 year old Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) working in a busy mixed animal clinic in rural southern Alberta.

Although I've always had a love for horses, my family did not share my passion. It wasn't until grade 8 that my now best friend moved here with her 8 horses, that I got started riding.
Fast forward a few years and at 16 years old I bought my first horse for $1.00 from a lady I worked for during the summer.

That horse: Bailey.

Eyed B Sassy, AKA "Bailey"
Bailey was a halter broke 3 year old when I got her, and there were reasons she was practically free.
I took her to 4-H with 30 rides on her, and through lots of learning and perseverance, the rest is history. Almost 8 years later she the best horse I could have ever imagined owning.

Although in the summers between my 3 years at Olds College I bought, started, and sold lots of horses, it has taken me 8 years to decide to buy one to keep.

That horse: Mesa.

Midnight Mesa AKA "Mesa"
Mesa had been for sale for a couple months I believe before I messaged Shirley, the owner of Diamond Lazy H Quarter Horses in southern BC. The family where I keep Bailey has 4 half siblings to Mesa (all sired by Isle Be Midnight), and they ALL have incredible minds and work ethic. I knew Mesa would be a good one.
After a 10 hour round trip to see Mesa, it was a done deal. She was perfect.
Mesa will be coming home in a couple of weeks, and while I build new fence on my property, she will be staying across the road from Bailey in exchange for riding a colt for the gentleman who lives on the property.

That horse: Banjo
Banjo is registered however the only thing I know is he has Hollywood Dunit on his papers; the owner could not get the papers from his now ex wife... I didn't ask too many questions ;)
He's 6 years old, and was "cowboy started" and essentially just tracked cows his whole life. I've put a few rides on him so far, and am pleased. He's a nervous nelly, but is SO willing to learn and work. I'm excited for what we can get accomplished this summer.

My goal with this blog is to have a place to document my progress with these horses, as well as life as a mixed animal RVT (because it is NEVER a dull moment!).

So, if you're squeamish, this blog probably isn't for you. If you get annoyed by lots of horse/dog/animals in general being posted; this blog probably isn't for you.
Otherwise, I look forward to having you follow along on this journey. 

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to the land of bloggers! They are a good bunch, pretty much drama free compared to Facebook! Really happy to have a place to follow Mesa's progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited! Can't wait to meet new people and read what they have to say. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon, Glad you plan to blog about Mesa and your other animal interactions. It is a good way to document life in general, and sort things out. I've used my blog countless time to look up "XYZ" gotten sage advice & made friends! Much more thoughtful & rewarding then social media, altho it has it's place too. Looking forward to reading what you share, and getting to know you through your writing. I am over at https://equineexpressions.blogspot.com/ for 10 years now, gasp! if it interests you :) I bet you can't wait to get Mesa home! She is one special girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aurora! Thank you! I am so excited to follow other blogs, and meet new people. I am still getting used to using it, but I hope I can at least keep up with the Mesa fans! Definitely gave you a follow, looking forward to learning more about you! :)

      Delete
  3. Hi! I have followed Shirley for a long time...Mesa is a gem you are really lucky to have her I believe she is a once in a lifetime horse! If I were 40 years younger and had a barn...she would have tempted me! Congratulations! It looks like you will have your hands full training...what fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very excited to have a keeper, and can't wait to see where we end up! Hands are definitely full with all the animals and work, but I wouldn't have it any other way :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Aurora! I am a big Mesa fan, as this filly is one of the prettiest horses I've ever seen. Congratulations on becoming her new owner! I look forward to following your blog as you do good things with her (and your other rides, too)! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am super excited to get her home! I agree, she is so nicely put together and I can't wait for her to grow up! :)

      Delete
  5. Welcome! Looking forward to following your journey on here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Also looking forward to following your blog as well and learning more about you :)

      Delete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!