Monday, January 13, 2020

2020.

Okay one of my goals for 2020 is to be better at blogging!

LOTS has happened since my last post, I don't know where to start.

How about work things.
We are amidst an expansion/renovation at the clinic. So, things are crowded, busy, LOUD.
Our surgery suite in December!

At this point the expansion is pretty much complete - now they have started on the inside renovations!
Although most horse related things are slowed right up for the winter, I did go out to the Tim Horton's Kids Camp to float some horses teeth. You may remember from a post further back, Dunny was my second 4-H horse. When my friends family got out of horses, they gave him to the camp. I was so surprised and happy to see him STILL there, and going strong at almost 30 years old!!
Dunny and I when I was in Grade 9!
Dunny enjoying his retirement at almost 30 years old.


Alright now lets move on to MESA, my oh-so-frustrating 800lb toddler.
I moved her across the road to where I board Bailey, simply so I wasn't going between two places, and could have both horses together.


Well, it wasn't 2 days after I moved her there she went into her first heat. OH MY GOSH did she have it rough... This heat lasted over 2 weeks. Her legs were scalded from pissing so much..
BUT, in the midst of this I still got a couple rides on her, and she didn't put a foot wrong, even in her hormonal state.. haha.

However, it didn't make it easy for her to integrate into the herd. Her big brother, Kai, is boss. He put the run on her, and put the run on her hard. One day I got a text with a picture of a bent panel, with the assumption it had something to do with Mesa and Kai. When I went out that evening, I was greeted with this.
Yes. She did it AGAIN. Third time's the charm right?! My level of frustration was through the roof. You can kind of see on her left leg, she also lacerated the back of her fetlock. Loaded her up, brought her to the clinic and sedated her to do a good clip and clean.

This happened at the end of October, and we are (for the third time) pretty much healed up again. She is now fully integrated into the herd and doing well.
She did need to get a blankey in preparation for Alberta's -45C Winter!
Bailey is struggling to stay 100% sound this winter, so I haven't been riding her either.

As for me, I had to move back into my parents house as my lease was up at the Superman house, and the town decided to not allow the horses.

Here's hoping things start coming together in 2020!







1 comment:

  1. That is soooo cool about Dunny! They must be taking really good care of him and I bet the little kids love him.
    I didn't realize that a gate panel was involved in Mesa's Mishap. Dang horses!
    I sure hope things turn around for you this year and that you can find a place for you and your horses.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!