Saturday, February 1, 2020

Mesa.


I'm just going to start off by saying warning, possible coarse language.

Before I get into what happened today, I'm going to start with work. I have been presented an opportunity to work about 4 hours north from where I am now at an equine only vet clinic. I have a working interview this Monday.

Which leads me to today. Since Mesa tried to cut her foot off again in October, I haven't done anything with her since. She is all healed up, and I figured for my 5th ride back on her I should probably climb on in a safe, controlled environment. What better place than Keith Stewart's, where I put my first couple of rides on her!

In a few posts back there is a picture of my trailer; it is a two horse straight load. Usually when I haul Bailey places I don't saddle her before hand, because she doesn't fit with the saddle on. Mesa however, is nice and tiny. Since it was raining, I figured I might as well saddle her at home and haul her with it on so I didn't have to saddle her in the rain.


Saddled her up, no problem. Loaded her in the trailer, no problem. I climb in my truck, when there is a big commotion coming from the trailer. I figured I better check it out. I open the door, and there is Mesa, laying on her side, underneath the centre divider, just looking at me like "what?". My first though is "what in the actual f**k". Luckily with just a pull of a pin I can release the divider and swing it one way. I did that, gave her a tap and she stood right up. No panicking, no darting out of the trailer, just looks at me again like "nothing happened, you saw nothing". So I close the divider and the doors and off we go, also thinking that it's not going to be fun loading her after our lesson.


Once we got to Keith's we went right to work on groundwork for about an hour. She was feeling quite fresh to say the least! Once she was soft on the lead Keith turned her out in the arena and sent her around.

Once she was ready I climbed up. Not 5 steps in she was feeling herself and hogged up a bit, but got over that pretty quick! We worked on transitions (which she is getting better at picking up the lope without some butt tapping!) stopping, backing, etc. Keith then had us track the flag. Although she wasn't sure about it at first, she caught on quite fast and seemed to enjoy it, I wish I had someone there who could video!

Keith was on a 3 year old as well, and brought out the buffalo. Although she had a few freak outs, I stayed on and by the end she was following the buffalo rather than trying to jump out of the arena (lol).

Then when it was time to go, I opened up the trailer door and she jumped right in no problem. She is SO quiet.

Now for my life confusion. I have a great job opportunity lined up working at the equine only clinic, but then Keith gave me the opportunity to go down south to Texas to work with big cutting horse trainers. So now I feel like my life is one big ball of confusion. I have a phone interview with a trainer tomorrow, so we'll see what they have to say/offer.

Sometimes I wish I could see the future. What is the best decision? Do I stay where I am now? Do I stay in the same career but stay in Canada? Or do I completely change career paths and move to a different country. Ah!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Mesa.... I hope your spring fling is over and you settle down now!!!!
    You have some exciting options and I can't wait to see what you choose to do.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!