Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Full Circle.


A very late follow-up to my last blog post.
Quick recap; I was debating whether to move down south and ride horses for Gary Gonsalves, OR, move north to work at an equine only clinic.

The decision? Neither! During one of my lesson's with Keith, he mentioned a cutting/working cow horse trainer in Lacombe (about 2.5 hours north of where I live) was looking for help. I made the trip for a quick interview, and left with a job offer. I decided to take it.

So, I packed up myself, Jack, and the two ponies and made the move at the end of March.
Unfortunately, after only two weeks on the job they had to lay me off due to COVID-19. They were however nice enough to offer me to stay with the horses, in exchange for some work around the farm. What I decided to do was work mornings (7am-12pm) in exchange for rent and board.

The nice thing about this arrangement is I get the afternoons free to ride my own horses!

So here's a Mesa update.

I only put a handful of rides on her when I was back home, due to her trying to cut her foot off 3 times. Luckily she is fully fully healed (knock on wood) and I've been able to consistently ride her since I've moved up here (it's nice having two outdoor arenas and one indoor!).
Not so impressed about being put to work!
It's been so nice having both Bailey and Mesa together. Bailey's been 100% sound since being up here! 
My two girls 💓


Mesa has definitely gone through a spring growth spurt. She's starting to look like a horse! I've tried to get videos of her being ridden, but it's hard with no one to film. Here's a short clip I did manage to get. 


Now that I've been up here for a few months, living off the government help, I have decided to move back home and go back to the clinic. I miss being a vet tech, and I also miss working full time.

The good news, is I found an acreage to rent just 4km from work, that is dog AND horse friendly. Also on the property is an outdoor arena and a round pen. It's also just across the highway from the ag society, so riding in the winter will be an easy haul to the indoor arena.

So, everything is coming full circle. In 2 weeks I'll make the move back home. I'm looking forward to getting back into the work routine, and even more excited to have both horses in my back yard.


Okay, but look how grown up she looks!




1 comment:

  1. That's great news! Sounds like you found a great place to live and the time up north was just what you and your horses needed.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!