Sunday, August 18, 2019

Heart Horse.


I figured it was time that my 12 year old got featured here, and share our story.

I've always had a love for horses, I guess I never grew out of the "I love ponies" phase as a little girl. I don't know how, or why, as no where in my family or extended family is there a farming/ranching/horse background.

Up until grade 8, I filled my horse obsession with horse camps and paid trail rides. When my now best friend moved here beginning of grade 8 with her horses, we were instant friends. We joined a local 4-H club. I rode her bomb-proof appaloosa draft mix named Frank for the first year, and a safe step-up horse named Dunny for the following year.
Dunny & Frankie Blue Eyes

For my third year, they didn't really have a step-up from Dunny, but a few steps up in the form of a sorrel gelding named Remmy.
Remmy

Even though he was 18 years old, he was a handful. Too much of a handful for me. I remember during a 4-H lesson he absolutely blew up. A few calming words from my instructor and some tears got us through, but we were politely asked not to come back, or with a different, safe horse. My instructor then came up to me and said, "I think I have the perfect horse for you! She's Dandy's daughter, her name is Bailey." Dandy was a sorrel overo mare in my 4-H club ridden by another girl.

Dandy
When I got to my instructors house, naturally I was looking for a paint. While standing in the pen of 20 horses, a cute little dun came up and rested her head on my chest. It sounds cliché, but we stood like that for 5 minutes and I said "I don't care who Bailey is I like this one".
Well, lucky for me that horse, was Bailey.

At that point Bailey was a 3 year old, yet to be started. So, I rode one of my instructors other horses for the year and started working at her ranch the following summer.

I was 16 years old, and worked at her ranch Infinity Quarter Horses for $25/day. I was a nanny to her 8 year old son, as well as a full time ranch hand.

She taught me how to start horses, breeding and production, and running a business. Of course, I got to spend time and work with Bailey.
First picture with Bailey, 3 years old, and me at 16.
After the summer was over, I left with an immense amount of knowledge in various aspects of horsemanship.
On October 3rd, 2011, my instructor and her husband took me out for dinner and told me they wanted to gift me Bailey. I couldn't believe it, I was getting my first horse.

Almost 8 years later, I'm 24 and she's 12. Countless frustrations, a few handfuls of ribbons, and a lot of hard work, our journey was nothing but easy. I wouldn't trade finding my heart horse for the world.


*Fun fact: in the process of getting Bailey registered, "Two Baileys Please" was one of my name choices, hence the name of my blog!*



1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story! Love that you had that initial bonding moment, that made my heart happy. Having a bond like that with a horse is a true gift and you are blessed.
    I hope Mesa becomes your second "Bailey".

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!