Thursday, August 8, 2019

I Suck.

Wow, I sure do suck at this blogging thing!

I won't bore you with the regular work details, but I will say it is BUSY.

First an update on Mesa:

Leading off of my last (yet not so recent) post, Mesa had a run in with what I thought was smooth wire. Deep deep deeeeep laceration on her front right foot on the lateral side of her heal bulb extending medially.
*GRAPHIC PHOTOS*
I was a day late to suture, as it was already starting to get infected.
First day.

I got the vet out to make sure there was no joint or tendon/ligament involvement (which thank God, there was none), and we decided on bandaging over casting. Bandaging, because #1, I would be out there everyday changing it, and #2, a cast you can't keep an eye on it.

A week and a half later of bandaging and antibiotics, it was looking really good. Nice new pink tissue starting to grow in.

Another week and a half later, it looked REALLY good. Scab was formed, and she wasn't lame anymore. So I stopped bandaging.

I should mention, as soon as the injury happened she was put in a post and rail pen, by herself since she likes to play with her geldings. 
Well, 10 days after the previous picture, I find this.


Gah!! She did it AGAIN! I checked her paddock over 100 times and could find NOTHING. No trace of blood, struggle, nothing. So my best guess is that it wasn't healed enough to not be bandaged, and she clipped it with her back foot.

So, I started for the second time treating it. It's been almost 2 months since she did it again, and I just recently stopped bandaging. Finally, it is closed. She still has swelling from her fetlock down, but it is being monitored and slowly decreasing.

On a happier note, on July 3rd I turned 24, and treated myself to a new (to me) truck. Yet to be named, a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie. Who knew air conditioned seats were a thing!!!

1 comment:

  1. Dang young horses, always find a way to get in a wreck! I'm so glad there isn't any permanent damage. I am sure looking forward to your posts on riding her!
    And hey.... nice truck!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!