Thursday, August 15, 2019

Staycation.


This past week I've been on a staycation. Like a vacation, but I stayed home. Although the week quickly filled up with getting appointments taken care of, etc, I made sure to have time to get some training in with Mesa.

She is fully healed and completely sound. Yay! Finally, we can get some work done. If you don't know who Keith Stewart and the Key Ranch is, I strongly recommend checking out their website/facebook page. He was my teacher throughout my 4-H years and I continued lessons with him even after.
The first lesson with Keith was this past Tuesday, at 1:00pm. I have a small, straight load 2 horse trailer that took my mare a bit to get used too.
Sorry Mesa, maybe I'll get your picture on a spare tire cover
one day too!
Mesa hasn't been in a trailer since we brought her home, and she wasn't exactly an angel loading into the giant stock trailer. She's also been difficult to catch lately. So, assuming it would take 15-20 minutes to catch her, and at least an hour to get her loaded, I started the process at 10:30 am.

Well, this is what 11:00 looked like.
Although she was up to her usual "you can't catch me", once I did and walked her up to the trailer, she hopped right in. NO HESITATION. 

She trailered great for the 20 minute drive to Keith's place. She wasn't so sure about backing out (I don't think she's ever had too), but with some encouragement she came out calmly.

The first lesson was 2 hours of groundwork. It was myself with Mesa, and another gentleman with his 3 year old. Mesa was definitely rusty, as I haven't done ANYTHING with her other than bandaging her foot. She likes to go UP to evade, or turn her butt. After a few corrections she seemed to be reminded of the foundation Shirley and Shayla provided her with. 
After finishing on the first day. Tired pony!


She loaded back up into the trailer great to go home, and again the next day when we went back out for our second lesson.
This time we saddled up right away, and did groundwork for an hour then got on for the last hour. Keith moved us out, we were just along for the ride. Mesa handled it all in stride, although by the end she was tired and forward motion was difficult.

Today, we saddled up and climbed right on. I also put a snaffle in her mouth today instead of using a halter. 
She. Was. AMAZING.
Forward motion was a lot easier today, and she really got soft in the bridle. We rode around for the full 2 hour lesson and she didn't put a hoof wrong.

Thank you Shirley, I am so lucky to have her.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww that gives me a happy. I had backed her out of the trailer a few times but it was my open trailer so a bit less constricting. Sounds like you are in good hands with Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, that pic of her face, she has Beamer's eyes! I'm happy you have her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) So glad you are working with her! :) Good to see her she is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!