Monday, May 20, 2019

Seeking Advice.

About a year ago I moved to an acreage near the next town to the north of where I live now, to be closer to work. I had Bailey with me, and we had a good set up. Lots of grass, lots of dirt corrals to keep her off of grass, and a HUGE outdoor arena.
In December of 2018 I moved back here, onto another nice acreage, again, to be closer to work (I had started my current job in August).

Where the blue dot is, is my house. The buildings in the middle have since been removed. So, I literally have all this land available to me. 
But, here's the catch:
I'll zoom out a little more.....
The acreage I live on, is essentially in the middle of town. Why has the town not taken over the land you might wonder? Well, I live in what us locals call "The Superman House". The house was featured in the 1980 Superman II. Therefore, it is actually considered a historic site.

Although I've been here for around 6 months now, I still have Bailey (and now Mesa) boarded about 10 minutes from town. The reason being, is that the fence needs repair, and let me tell you it's a lot of fence!

The flood of 2013 wiped out the house that used to be in the centre of the field (the house/buildings in the middle of the first picture). They had a lovely set up and actually had a few horses there for as long as I can remember. However, since then there has been no livestock, so the fence line has suffered.
Now, I don't NEED all of this grass for 2 horses, so, here is what I'm thinking.
I'd build new fence (instead of repairing the ENTIRE fence line around the property), whether it be wire or electric, and have a small corral for them to come into at night, as it is quite nerve-wracking having horses "in town". Where the red scribbles are, I wouldn't touch, as I wouldn't be able to see the horses in that area.

What do you guys think? Do any of you have a better idea(s) as to the set up I could potentially build? It's a blank slate! 


I'll leave you with what I'm currently dealing with on Mesa.. But that story is for another day. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. Check with the town and see if you are allowed to electrify the perimeter fence. If not, you should be able to build pens within the perimeter that you can power up. It should also keep nosy townies from throwing their grass clippings over for your poor starvin' horses.... Pull your pens back from the edge of the property at least 20 feet.

    Maybe you can cut hay on the extra pasture? You should be able to find someone to cut and bale for a nominal fee or share the crop.

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!