Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Buffalo, Meat Horses and Paints.

It's CRAZY at the clinic right now. I'm glad Mesa is only 2 and there is no rush to get her going, because right now time is limited. My plan is to continue with her groundwork until her 3 year old year, then get her really going under saddle. Shirley's colts have an incredible foundation, a foundation that was put to the test yesterday with Mesa's first trim with my farrier.


As you can see she was super worried (not). She wasn't sure about having her front foot extended onto the foot stand, but got over that rather quickly. She is quite toed out in the front, which I hadn't noticed until a few days ago. Luckily her legs are straight as an arrow, so with time and regular foot work we should be able to get the feet facing in the right direction again.

Today I was out doing some floats and vaccines with the vet. The client had a beautiful sorrel overo gelding, with a bald face and two blue eyes. Shy, but took the two IM (intramuscular) vaccines rather well. The strangles vaccine, however, goes up the nose, and he was having NONE of that. A trick I learned for this, is having someone put hay in their face. Horses don't complain when delicious food is tickling their nose! So, I then sneak the long end of the syringe in with the hay and with one quick squirt, vaccine is administered.
The owner was telling me that she got this gelding from a farm that had buffalo, meat horses, and paints. Their "brand" on the horses that weren't going for meat, was slitting the top of their left nostril.
I don't blame him for being a little "nose shy"!

This has been a long week already, and it's only Wednesday. I'll again end this post, with some goings on at work.

Dog vs. Tractor.

Two hypothermic lambs being warmed up with
IV fluids and a heat lamp.



Not work related, but Jack's face is pretty much how I feel
about this week! Is it Friday yet??

2 comments:

  1. So glad that Mesa was good getting her feet done. She was always pretty good with her feet. And when she gets long she does tend to toe out, so keeping her trimmed properly is a good idea.
    That's kinda awful about slitting the nostril on the keeper horses! A brand may have been a little kinder! And that poor dog, hope he will recover from those broken toes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just don't get colts as well behaved as yours Shirley! I still can't believe the I'M one of the lucky ones to own one!
      Isn't it terrible?? Once she told me that I couldn't blame him for being so ill-mannered around his nose!!

      Delete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!