Thursday, May 2, 2019

Sutures.

Remember the filly I mentioned in my previous post with entropion? Unfortunately the problems for this filly, who is now named "Rue", were not over.
I got a text from the owner a day or two after my initial visit, saying one side of her face was swollen so bad her tongue was sticking out.

You can see the discharge due to her entropion.
This angle you can really see the swelling.
After consulting with the vet, we opted to monitor for the evening as she was still able to suck. Was it a bug bite? Did she get kicked? By the next morning the swelling had subsided, so we kept the appointment for the next week to fix her eye.
Today we went out to attempt to fix her eye. Upon arriving, we noticed that although her face was completely back to normal, her tongue was still hanging out of her mouth.
Little horse tongue!
Time will tell if this is the result of trauma to her head, since it hangs out 24/7. 
Otherwise, the procedure was a success. Initially, the plan was to inject saline under the eye, however once the doctor got a closer look, it was more severe than we originally thought. So, lidocaine was injected under the eye and sutures were placed to bring the eyelid down to a proper position.
Sorry for the blurry after picture!
She was sedated for the procedure, so her tongue really got relaxed!


Rue and I were matching in the suture department, thanks to an incident involving an avocado (it's okay to laugh). Since I live so close to work, I always go home for lunch. I had just created the most perfect sandwich, and was going to finish it off with some fresh avocado.
Well, unfortunately that finishing touch cost me a half a day of work, 6.5 hours in the hospital and 5 stitches.

Don't worry; nurses, doctors and other patients made sure I knew how to correctly pit an avocado before I finally went home! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! I hope she gets back to normal with her tongue. And why o why didn't you have the vet sew up your finger!!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I know! Usually it doesn't take more than an hour at the hospital in High River, but about 4 hours in I was regretting not sucking up my needle fear and doing it at work! LOL

      Delete
  2. Hope you get Mesa soon. That poor foal with the eye and the tongue...and owie your finger looks sore:(

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know if you have viewed and followed my blog, I am always looking for others to follow along with!